1. Briefly explain the problem and the PICOT question and the intervention.
The main concern for post-op patients in the PACU is pain control. The intervention is guided imagery as an adjunct to standard of care. Support the paper with evidence from the literature on the problem of pain control in the PACU and succinctly explain how the PICOT and intervention (guided imagery as an adjunct to standard of care) address the problem.
2. Describe the pilot project for the chosen intervention and include:
a. Explain the who, what, where, when, and how of the pilot project
b. Describe a specific model or framework of change that will be used to facilitate the implementation of the intervention.
Implementing a pilot project for guided imagery as an adjunct to standard of care
Who would be involved in the pilot project – patients, PACU nurses, Anesthesiologists, Surgeons, hospital administrators, clinical educators/clinical nurse specialists
What would be done in the pilot project – needs assessment, selected guided imagery (ex. scenes from the ocean), display imagery on screens in the PACU, evaluate pain scores for EHR, frequency of narcotic use.
Where is the pilot project conducted – PACU of teaching hospital
When are you conducting the pilot – over a 6-month period
How is the pilot project executed – meet with stakeholders, educational sessions, IRB, enroll participants in the intervention group, collect data. Use an EBP Model
3. Describe the stakeholders and their roles in the pilot project – patients, nurses, hospital administrators, physician champions
4. Propose two (2) strategies that would promote engagement of the stakeholders in the project – lunch and learn/CEUs
5. Discuss a specific practice guideline that supports the intervention – What’s in the literature as CPG for guided imagery and pain control?
6. Identify major organizational resources needed for the pilot project. – What would the pilot project need from the organization – organization IRB approval/educational time for the nurses/equipment to display guided imagery/EHR access
7. Discuss how the outcome of the intervention will be measured. – Based on the length of the project Ex.- 6 months review/collect data from EHR on pain scores for participants in the pilot.
Again, a high-level overview using an example from a clinical issue in a PACU setting. Remember to review/adhere to all assignment criteria on pages 20 – 22 of the A & A.